Today, with today’s smartphones and TVs equipped with Smart TV, passing content and viewing what you have on your mobile on TV is as simple as doing a ‘mirroring’ connecting both devices through the same app and Wi-Fi network. But what if your TV does not have a Smart TV? Then the thing changes, but it is still possible to do it. We are going to see several methods for this:
If the mobile is an iPhone
Connect iPhone or iPad to TV with cable
Although the cable may seem somewhat prehistoric, it is still a good solution, especially if we do not have a WiFi connection or its speed is not enough.
In order to connect our iPad or iPhone to TVwe only need one lightning to hdmi adaptera very common input on all televisions, but which we recommend you check before buying the adapter, in case you need the VGA version. You may also have a newer iPad that uses a USB C port and not Lightning, so you’ll need to look for a USB C to HDMI adapter:
- We connect the Lightning adapter to an HDMI cable.
- We plugged the HDMI into our TV
- We connect the Lightning adapter to our iPhone or iPad
Now we have connected our Apple product to the television through mirrored screenwhich will allow us to watch movies, photos or even surf the internet.
Connect our iPhone or iPad to the TV wirelessly
If we have a stable Wi-Fi connectionthe best option will always be one of the following that we are going to offer you, since it is faster and less complicated for all users.
Apple TV y AirPlay
Apple has products designed to facilitate the task of connect our devices to the tvsu name is Apple TV and we will show you how to use them.
For this, the first thing we need is the Apple TV itself, which we can buy on Amazon and receive it quickly.
- We connect our Apple TV to the television, through the HDMI input.
- On our iPhone or iPad we slide from below, to access the shortcuts, where we will find the function Screen Mirroring.
- We choose Apple TV from the list of AirPlay devices that appear.
- We enter the password on our iPhone or iPad and the content will begin to be broadcast on television.
One of the options, despite belonging to Google, is the Chromecast, a small device that connects via HDMI and offers the possibility of sending multimedia content to the television.
This small device is not found on Amazon, but we can buy it directly in the store. google store.
- We connect the Chromecast to our television, being connected on our smartphone to the same WiFi network.
- We access some of the applications compatible with Chromecast since we cannot send the full screen.
- We access YouTube for example and at the top we find the button to send to television.
- Once this is done we choose the device and it will start playing.
Another option available, but somewhat more advanced, is through DLNA. We will need a television with internet connection and download an application on our iPhone or iPad that allows us to connect.
Some of the most popular applications are the following:
Once installed on our Apple device, we can follow the steps where they explain how to connect it and use it in a very intuitive way. Although this option may seem like the solution, we will not be able to use it to play music purchased on iTunes or other services.
If the mobile is Android
Component video and audio connection on a TV without HDMI
Most older generation TVs typically use the Component Audio Video (CVAC) connection, making it difficult to link to other devices that don’t have a similar type of connection. The good news, however, is that your TV can be easily connected, albeit with the help of an HDMI to Composite Video Audio converter adapter that will act as a link between your TV and phone.
Luckily, you can buy devices like this HDMI to RCA converter from Amazon.com which is compatible with TV stick, Roku, Switch and even Blu-Ray and DVD players.
Connect a smartphone to a TV with HDMI
TVs without Smart TVs that come with HDMI ports are much easier to link to your phone than those that use a component video and audio connection. All you need to do is pair your TV with wireless dongles like the Amazon Firestick or the hugely popular Google Chromecast.
Dongles like Google Chromecast make connecting work easier, since you won’t have to buy connecting cables to stream content from your smartphone to your non-smart TV. However, for streaming to occur, your casting device (Amazon TV Fire Stick, Google Chromecast) must be on the same WiFi connection for content to be cast directly from your phone to your non-smart TV.
Connecting a Google ChromeCast
Let’s install one of them, a ChromeCast:
- Once properly connected, connect the power cable to your Chromecast device and carefully plug it into a power source.
- Turn on your TV (if it was off) and you’ll see a notification that the device hasn’t connected to a network.
- Pair the device with your smartphone
- To pair the Chromecast device with your smartphone, you’ll first need to download the Google Home app.
- Once the download is complete, go through all the suggested installation steps, giving Google Home the suggested permissions.
- Setup is a pretty straightforward process that shouldn’t take more than five minutes.
- At the top of the Google Home app, you’ll see a dropdown menu that will allow you to cast screen or audio, which should allow you to establish a connection between your two devices (phone and non-smart TV).
Connect the mobile to a TV without Smart TV using the built-in functions of the TV
Not all non-smart TVs are limited in features. Unlike old analog TVs, digital TVs without smart tvs usually support Google’s casting feature, which means you won’t need to connect via dongles.
- You’ll need to download the Google Home app to activate casting between your TV and your stage. Once again, the phone and TV will need to be connected to a WiFi network.
- After pairing the two devices, you can now access most of your phone’s content directly on the screen.
- In addition to viewing your photos and videos, you can also choose to stream movies and series from various streaming networks.
How easy or difficult it is to connect your smartphone to your digital (but not smart) TV will depend on the manufacturers. This is because some TVs come with separate apps designed to make networking easy. However, to establish such connections, you will most likely need to download an app recommended by your TV manufacturer.