López Obrador receives the US Secretary of Energy amid concerns from Washington about the electricity reform

The president of Mexico, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, will receive the US Secretary of Energy, Jennifer Granholm, this Thursday, amid concerns arising from Washington about the electrical reform initiative that is pending processing by the Mexican Congress.

During his morning conference, the president announced that there were “many issues to discuss” during the conversation with Granholm. One of the main ones, according to López Obrador, was “report on our energy policy“.

“Thank you, because they have been respectful of independent energy policy“said the president.

Controversy over electrical reform

On November 3, 2021, the US ambassador to Mexico, Ken Salazar, met with officials from the López Obrador Administration to express the “serious concerns” about the Executive’s electrical reform that was being debated at the time. The congress.

In response, the head of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (SRE) of Mexico, Marcelo Ebrard, acknowledged that he had asked Salazar that, before establishing a position on the issue, it was “important to hear what the reform is and what it is not. electric”.

Related  Bayern wins suffering and maintains advantage over Dortmund

A few weeks earlier, some twenty congressmen from the state of Texas sent a letter to Salazar, in which they expressed concerns about López Obrador’s initiative to reform the electricity sector, which, in their opinion, “would increase state control of the industry electricity and would severely limit private investment.

Among the most important points of the reform is the strengthening of the Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) of Mexico, so that it is the state company that has 54% of the market, while the remaining 46% would be left in the hands of private companies.

Furthermore, the text states that lithium is a “strategic” mineral, and therefore, all reserves that are in Mexican territory will be property of the nation.

energy transition

Prior to the meeting at the National Palace, Granholm met with Ebrard, at the headquarters of the Mexican Foreign Ministry.

In a brief message to the media prior to the meeting, Ebrard announced that they would talk about electromobility, clean energy, energy transition and they would follow up on the issues addressed by President Joe Biden and López Obrador during the IX Summit of North American Leaders, held on November 18, 2021 at the White House.